An excess flow valve (EFV) is a device that Peoples Gas can install on your natural gas service line (the line that runs between the underground gas main and your gas meter).
Excess flow valves are designed to automatically restrict your service when the natural gas flow exceeds certain limits, such as when a service line is damaged due to excavation or other activities. When activated, the EFV may stop the flow of natural gas, limiting the risk of escaping natural gas due to this type of damage or a pipe failure, and providing safety benefits. EFVs do not protect against gas leaks occurring within your home's piping.
Request an EFV installation
If you don’t have an EFV previously installed on your gas service line, you can request an installation. Here’s some information to help you get started:
- We estimate that most EFV installations will range in cost between $1,200 and $1,800 per line, depending on the excavation and restoration required for a particular premise.
- If you request that an EFV be installed, we will determine if your service line meets certain eligibility requirements, such as pressure limits and natural gas flow rates.
- If your line meets the requirements, and you make payment to Peoples Gas of the estimated installation cost, Peoples Gas will install an EFV on your service line (typically scheduled for completion within eight to 12 weeks).
- During installation, Peoples Gas will stop your natural gas service and excavate your service line, and then install the valve, close the system and backfill the excavation.
- The last step is to restore natural gas service to your home.
To learn more about excess flow valves, contact us at (866) 847-5957 (English) or (800) 743-1227 (Spanish).
Typically, excess flow valves are maintenance free. However, should a problem arise with the device, Peoples Gas will repair or replace the EFV at no further cost to you.
Peoples Gas requires someone over the age of 18 to be present at the time of natural gas restoration.
Frequently asked questions
Get more information
To learn more about excess flow valves, you may contact us at 866-847-5957 (English) or 800-743-1227 (Spanish).