Like us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Bookmark and Share
Please enter a search phrase.

Safety Tips

Safety Tips

Peoples Gas' first priority is always the safety of its customers, the general public and our team members. When used properly, natural gas is proven to be one of the safest and most reliable forms of energy available. However, as with all forms of energy, improper or careless use of natural gas may cause property damage or personal injury.

There are many simple steps you can take to help stay safe. Please take time to review these safety tips and share them with members of your household.


You can count on gas appliances to provide many years of safe, economical service if you follow a few simple guidelines:

  • Purchase only appliances approved by recognized testing centers to ensure they meet national safety standards.
  • Have your gas appliances installed and maintained by qualified service provider. Check this list of providers.
  • Follow the manufacturer's instructions on the label for the lighting and operation of each appliance.
  • Use a gas appliance only for its intended purpose. For example, an oven should not be used to heat a room.
  • Keep papers, clothing, curtains, flammable liquids and other combustibles away from open flames.
  • Have qualified service provider remove dirt, dust or lint from burners.
  • Make sure the gas flame in your appliance burns bright blue, not a dull yellow-orange.
  • Never use an appliance that is operating improperly. Have it serviced by a qualified service provider.
  • Have at least one approved fire extinguisher in your home. Remember: baking soda, salt or even a large pot lid may be used to extinguish a grease fire from the stove.
  • Consider using a monitor in your home for carbon monoxide (CO), a poisonous gas. All types of combustion appliances that use solid (wood) or liquid (oil), as well as natural and propane gas, can produce CO if not properly installed and maintained. If your CO monitor activates (signaling a potential problem), contact your local fire department immediately.

Home Heating

Gas equipment requires an adequate air supply to operate properly. Without proper ventilation, your equipment may produce carbon monoxide, a poisonous gas. For this reason, when a space heater is located in a tightly sealed home, a window or door should be opened slightly while you are using it.

If you ever smell fumes, your eyes sting, or you become dizzy or nauseated while your heater is on, turn it off immediately, open doors and windows and leave the house. Have it checked by a qualified service professional.

Never operate an unvented space heater if the ceramic radiants are broken or out of place. Unvented space heaters should not be used in rooms such as bathrooms, bedrooms or other rooms where doors are closed when the room is occupied.

On a vented heater:

  • Make sure the vent is clear of obstructions and that it draws fumes out of the house.
  • Turn off the heater if the vent is not operating properly.
  • If your heating system is located in a closet, be sure the louvers or grills in the door are not blocked.
  • Do not operate heating equipment if you are unsure of its condition or instructions are unavailable.

Have your gas heating system checked by a professional every year before cold weather arrives. If you're a seasonal customer, you should have your equipment checked before reactivation. See our special offer for reactivation service.

Your heating equipment may need servicing if you have trouble keeping the pilot light on or if the control valve is hard to operate. Do not force or tamper with the control. Call to arrange for professional service or visit our list of providers for a qualified service provider.

Hot Water

Make sure your water heater is set to a safe temperature.

To help prevent scald injuries caused by excessively hot tap water, it is recommended that the water heater be set following the manufacturer's recommendation found in your owner's manual.

Check the water temperature before placing a child in the bathtub; never leave a child alone or with other young children in the bathtub. It only takes a half a second for a baby to suffer a severe burn in 150°F water versus four minutes in water at 120°F.

Flammable Liquids

Gasoline and other flammable liquids should never be used indoors, and should be stored in an approved container, away from children. Please review these related safety tips.

  • Gasoline is a motor fuel. Never use it as a cleaner.
  • Never use gasoline or other flammable liquids indoors or in the same room or area as a natural gas appliance or other ignition source.
  • Keep gasoline ONLY in an approved gasoline container. Make sure the container is tightly sealed. Never store gasoline in plastic milk jugs or glass containers.
  • Never fill gasoline containers to the top. Allow room for vapor expansion.
  • Store gasoline in a safe container on a high shelf, in a cool place, away from the house.
  • Keep gasoline and other flammable liquids away from children
  • Talk to your children about the dangers of flammable liquid products.
Facebook Twitter You Tube Linked In Pinterest Wordpress Instagram