How Budget Billing Works
Peoples Gas Budget Billing program for residential customers takes the highs and lows out of monthly natural gas bills. This "leveling" billing program averages your last 12 monthly billing periods so you can pay about the same amount for your natural gas service each month.
The difference between the billed amount and the actual amount of natural gas used is called a deferred amount. This deferred amount can be a credit or a debit amount. The deferred amount will be adjusted as you continue to make monthly payments to your account and will be reflected on your monthly statements.
How to qualify
- You must be a residential customer with at least 3 months of billing history before enrollment.
- You must have a year-round rather than a seasonal account.
- Seasonal customers or commercial customers do not qualify.
- You must have all statement payments current.
How to enroll
- Go to Enroll in Budget Billing Program
- Or, call our customer service department at 1-877-832-6747 and choose option 2.
- Allow one billing cycle to activate your request.
- You are responsible for paying any current balance on your statement before Budget Billing takes effect on your next bill. The Budget Billing amount does not replace your existing bill.
- The monthly designated amount must be paid.
- Late charges do apply.
- Accounts must be maintained current to remain active in the Budget Billing program.
- If your account becomes 60 days or more past due, disconnected for non-payment, or has three or more non-sufficient fund checks, your account will be dropped from the Budget Billing program.
- Your monthly amount may be recalculated after one year on the program. The monthly amount may be increased or decreased based on the new calculation.
- Bill messages will appear on your bill with any change made to the budgeted amount.
To discontinue Budget Billing
- When discontinuing Budget Billing the entire deferred balance will be posted directly to your account. If a debit amount, this balance is due on your next statement payment date. If a credit amount, Peoples Gas will credit your statement by that amount.
To discontinue Budget Billing, call 1-877-832-6747, choose option 2 and speak to a customer service representative.