TECO Peoples Gas Outage Update #6
TAMPA, May 20, 2010
As of 3 pm today, service to all critical facilities (hospitals, nursing homes, schools), 80% of commercial customers and more than 1,200 residential customers that were affected by the natural gas outage in the Jupiter, Palm Beach Gardens, Lake Park and unincorporated Palm Beach County have been restored.
All 250 Peoples Gas crew members mobilized to restore service are focused on re-lighting customers. The company has retained additional non-Peoples Gas resources to assist with the restoration effort over the weekend when the company expects more residents to be at home and available for re-lights.
Peoples Gas crews and authorized contractors continue to visit each premise to ensure natural gas service is restored, pilot lights are re-lit and safety checks are completed according to internal safety procedures and state and federal requirements.
- Restoration efforts continue progressing across the entire outage area, with separate crews assigned to restore residential neighborhoods and commercial businesses.
- Access to homes or businesses is necessary for restoration in order that technicians can re-light and check that each gas appliance is functioning safely.
- Door hangers listing a special Peoples Gas phone number will be left for customers who are not at home. Special teams will be dispatched as customer availability is determined.
- The expanded Peoples Gas crews will continue to work through the weekend from 7 a.m. to approximately 10 p.m. each night.
- The company has not estimated the final restoration timeline but believes substantial progress will be made this weekend.
Peoples Gas is aware of all affected areas. Customers do not need to call in to report their individual outages.
Customers should not turn off their gas supply at the main meter. Only emergency personnel or utility personnel should turn the valve on or off. A customer may turn off the gas for individual appliances at the appliance valve near each unit, but it is not necessary.
For latest update on our progress as well as safety tips please see www.peoplesgas.com.
Peoples Gas System, Florida's largest natural gas distribution company, is one of the four core businesses of TECO Energy, Inc. (NYSE: TE), an energy-related holding company, with regulated electric and gas utility operations in Florida through Tampa Electric and Peoples Gas System. Peoples Gas serves approximately 335,000 customers in most of Florida's major metropolitan areas and beyond. Other TECO Energy subsidiaries include TECO Coal, which owns and operates coal production facilities in Kentucky and Virginia, and TECO Guatemala, which is engaged in electric power generation and distribution and energy-related businesses in Guatemala.